I know that it has been awhile and I can't quite put my finger on where the ten days have gone since my last post. Somehow Spring does this to me, maybe to everyone... The extra games of favorite children -- 10+ hours devoted this weekend; I won't go into the number of hours spent last week --, the opening of the outside spaces (pruning/mulching/weeding/planting), the puzzle of insulation bits littering the driveway. Yeah, birds nesting in the attic, and the guilt of (perhaps) ending their freedom to fix the holes in my facia. Yada, Yada, Yada. The joys of parenthood and home ownership. Actually, it is pretty great, well maybe not the weeding, and maybe not the day-in and day-out of fixing school lunches....
Down Dog Yoga, started talking about Dharma. Sanskrit. Your life's purpose or virtuous path. My mind goes directly to the short-lived sitcom Dharma and Greg. Ahhh, now that show and her character makes a little more sense. It could appreciated (sort of), on another level. Though, I don't remember there being too many levels. It was a sitcom after all.
Patty's point was that yoga could help us find our purpose. By slowing down. By breathing. By understanding who we are in space. By working together. It was timely.
I am a 'Type A' by nature. Nothing gives me more pleasure than checking something off my list. But I can appreciate Dharma. I want Dharma. Why and I here? What am I supposed to be doing with my life? What can I do to make a really good Obituary Story? (;D) AND, the last thing I want to do is wake up one day, 80+ years old, with the 'should haves,' 'the could haves,' and the 'would haves' on my back. And not the 'dones' crossed off my list.
So what is my Dharma? I've decided that my Purpose -- right now anyway -- is to run marathons and raise money. 7 continents, 50 states and 5 marathon majors -- one marathon a month. Money for the at-risk children and their families in the City of Alexandria. I've been dealt a good hand, and I know it. I need to give back. Over $30,000.00 since May of 2009. All going to those who need it most. $20,000.00 granted in February of 2010 to Child and Family Network Centers.
What is your Dharma?
- Food friend Leslie Ann was picked up by Tastespotting! A direct link to Leslie Ann's blog and my recipe (with her amendments), follow this link: Marathoner's Banana Bread .
- I was awarded by Mayor Euille, mayor of the City of Alexandria, a Proclamation stating, among other things, that I am now an Official Ambassador for the City. Yipee! Feel very honored...
- HOpinG that I make it to London on Friday to run the marathon of Sunday. Really want to cross the 5 majors category off my list and show my favorite mother -- 70th birthday present -- and one of my favorite children, a good time. Who knew this adventure could get thwarted from an Icelandic volcano, that hasn't erupted in 150+ years.
- Made a Plan 'B.' If I can't get to London, I'll run either the Delaware Trail Marathon or the Oklahoma City Marathon on April 24th/25th. Both have race day registration...
- Running Eugene, OR marathon on May 2.
Cheers everyone! Feeling great and can't wait to run another.